Sabotaging our Health
How We Trick aka Sabotage Ourselves
Ok, so without further ado, here are some mays that we are “Tricking” ourselves and self-sabotaging our own health.
- Listening to others & ignoring ourselves. We want so badly for someone to give us the magic pill to health and success that sometimes if we just listened to our bodies, we’d find success. (Help of a professional is definitely still encouraged)
- Bringing certain food into the home. We know that ice cream spirals us out of control and yet we still bring it into the home. You don’t have to stop eating ice cream but stop sabotaging yourself and bringing that 2-for-1 1/2 gallon ice cream special home with you.
- Falling into a Negative Comparison Trap. Following people on social media or in real life who make you feel BAD about yourself or LESS of an awesome human being is SO not worth it. Unfollow them or spend time away from them. After all, you are the 5 people you spend the most time with, make them awesome and people who build you up not tear you down.
- If it works for them, it will work for me. I wrote a whole post on this but by falling into this trick/trap that because this person got a 6 pack by avoiding dairy that it will work for you is absurd, listen to your body and work with a qualified professional.
- Eating on the go. We spend so much time on the go and forget that eating should be enjoyable. I double dog dare you to SIT while eating, to put your fork down between bites and to CHEW YOUR FOOD.
- Negative self-talk. We love to put ourselves down and that needs to stop. This negative self-talk is not good for our health and definitely not good for our stress levels, cortisol, and/or waistlines.
How we Can Treat aka Stop Sabotaging Ourselves
Alright, so now that we know some of the ways we are tricking aka sabotaging ourselves?! How can we stop and instead treat ourselves?!
- Listen to your body. You are your best advocate, so listen to your body and figure out what works for you. Need a rest day? Great, take it. Don’t feel good eating dairy? Okay cool, don’t eat it. If you struggle with this hire a professional.
- Know your triggers. Know when something doesn’t serve you. Let’s go back to the ice cream, maybe bringing the ice cream into the house throws you into a spiral of ice cream eating to no avail. Ok, instead of bringing it into the house, go out to get ice cream with friends and family, you can have your cake (ice cream) and eat it too without feeling bad or sick.
- Unfollow, unfollow, unfollow! Stop following people that make you feel bad about yourself, end of story. Do it now.
- Hire a professional. It will be worth your while.
- Sit down and chew your food. Slow down and enjoy your food, no need to rush it.
- Positive self-talk DAILY. Let’s start saying something good about and to ourselves daily, okay?!