Is Zucchini growing out the wazoo around you this summer! It sure is by us, so let’s put it to good use. Try out this new Taco Stuffed Zucchini Boats recipe so that you can reap the benefits of your local harvest.
It’s that time of year where I am LOVING almost everything I get from my local produce supplier, Field Goods. I get a bag each week year round but some weeks it’s too much greens or too many frozen items. However, this time of year I’m overjoyed to receive my bag and see things like fresh zucchini popping out of the bag. This week when I saw the zucchini I just new I needed to make my delicious Taco Stuffed Zucchini Boats.
It’s basically just another way to trick you into eating more vegetables by saying you’re eating tacos. No matter the way I have to do it, I’ll keep doing it so that you get to eat delicious food AND make it worth your while (aka #sassyapproved) while you’re at it.
Taco Tuesday Every Day
Speaking of tacos, why do we only have to think about tacos on Tuesday or during happy hour?! Tacos deserve attention every dang day. These Taco Stuffed Zucchini Boats are quite literally good every day of the week and don’t need it to be Taco Tuesday for you to put them on your plate, or heck, chop them up in a bowl and put it over rice.
I’m pretty convinced I could eat a taco every day and be a-okay with it. I would just have to vary it up so that I get to eat all kinds of foods and so that I don’t overdo the chips or tortillas, which are my downfall every time. Not saying that those items are bad, just need to eat more of the veggies than not, ya know?!
Make Ahead of Time
Listen up, you don’t have to slave away in the kitchen every dang day. It may look like all I do is cook, and yes, I probably cook more than the average human. However, I made this dish on a Sunday night and it lasted us through Wednesday along side some burgers that I will release soon that helped us get through to Friday.
I plan ahead by having most of the ingredients on hand. I’m thinking f making up some pantry lists, freezer lists, and grocery shopping list (based on individual stores) for you guys, so keep an eye out for that. I’ve personally been loving having a stocked freezer thanks to signing up for Butcher Box so that I don’t have to worry about sourcing good meat for the week, I just thaw it, grab my spices, and veggies and BOOM, Taco Stuffed Zucchini Boats coming in hot.
Pro Tip: If you prefer to make these unstuffed, chop up the zucchini and saute it all up in the same skillet and omit the oven step.
Taco Stuffed Zucchini Boats
- 3 medium zucchini
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1/4 cup red onion small dice
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 red bell pepper small dice
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- cherry tomatoes quartered
- jalapenos sliced
- avocado sliced
- sour cream
- Preheat oven to 350F and spray a 9”x13” baking dish with cooking spray.
- Slice zucchini in half lengthwise and scoop out pulp leaving at least 1/2 inch of the shell and lay zucchini scoop side up in baking dish.
- Chop the zucchini pulp, set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat, add onion and saute for 2 to 3 minutes add garlic, bell pepper, zucchini pulp and saute for another 2 minutes
- Add in ground beef and spices and cook until beef is no longer pink.
- Remove from heat, drain excess liquid and stir in 1/2 cup of cheddar cheese then scoop beef mixture into zucchini boats, top with the other 1/2 cup of cheddar cheese and bake uncovered for 20 minutes.
Let me know if you make these simple Taco Stuffed Zucchini Boats and feel free to tag @thesassydietitian on social media so I can see your work of art.
Pin Now, Catch a Boat Ride Later
I MAY BE COMPENSATED THROUGH AFFILIATE LINKS IN THIS POST AND ON THIS SITE. HOWEVER, ALL OPINIONS ARE MY OWN. COMPENSATION HELPS WITH ANY EXPENSES NEEDED TO KEEP THIS BLOG GOING.