Thirsty Thursday is alive and well! Get ready for Cinco de Mayo this weekend with a spicy Strawberry Jalapeno Margarita.
Hello, sunshine! I don’t know about you but I am ready for some fun in the sun. Cinco de Mayo is the pre-kickoff to summer and some fun times outside. Who doesn’t love a margarita with friends sitting outside in the sun? Sounds like a dream, let’s make it happen. If you’re in Albany, I expect to see you for a drink, ok thanks bye.
It is amazing what a little sun will do for your mood. I got to lift outside yesterday and it made me actually WANT to deadlift and believe me, I don’t often want to deadlift. Give me burpees over heavy weights any day. It got me wanting more days out in the sun. I guess the sun is like a drug, once you have a little you want more.
Anywho, I decided it was time to try my hand at bartending skills for you all this week. We’re going to call this “Sassy After Hours.” I am a sucker for a good margarita but I really hate the sickeningly sweet taste of most you find at restaurants. I usually stick to a plain margarita on the rocks (bonus points if they have one made with fresh lime juice and agave, not sour mix) with salt on the rim of course.
Did you say Alcohol?!
Oh, boy, let’s back up. So here’s the thing, I’m a dietitian, so everyone expects me to eat perfectly and be the food police. Here’s a fun fact, I am not perfect, nor is my diet, nor am I the food police. I love wine, chocolate, and cheese just like the next gal. I am also a sucker for a margarita, sorry not sorry.
I think it’s important to find ways to incorporate alcohol into your diet in a healthy manner. If alcohol is something that you cannot moderate, then hey! That’s okay, take it out (ask for help when needed) and you can always enjoy some mocktails, nothing wrong with that.
I get asked a lot of times though, how does alcohol fit into a healthy diet. Well, the answer is simple, it depends 😉
If you are generally healthy, happy with your weight, performance, sleep, energy, etc. then I think a moderate amount of alcohol is a-okay. It’s when you are not reaching your goals, have terrible sleep, stress, skin issues, performance issues, etc. that it becomes a real problem. I can not usually help you lose weight, improve performance, energy, etc. with too much booze, it’s just not reality.
Alcohol Rules 101
Ok, so you are generally healthy and happy with where you are? Great, here are some of my hard and fast alcohol rules:
- Avoid sugary drinks. You know the ones that make you pucker and have an instant headache?
- Water for everyone. For every glass of alcohol you drink, drink a glass of water, your future self will thank you.
- Protect your sleep. Try not to drink right up to bedtime, you will most likely not have a great night’s sleep. Give yourself a few hours if at all possible.
- Be a nutrition nerd. Replenish nutrients like B-vitamins & Magnesium post drinking.
Strawberry Jalapeno Margarita
Ok, the real reason we are all here today. This amazingly beautiful and tasty drink. I had a hankering for a margarita and I LOVVVVVE strawberries & anything spicy, so I decided, why not try my hand at a tasty Strawberry Jalapeno Margarita?
If you know me then you know I love spice. I try to cut back in recipes because I recognize not everyone wants to sweat when they eat. This flavor combination is amazing. The jalapeno spice cuts the sweetness of the strawberry and the strawberry cuts the spiciness of the jalapeno, match made in Margaritaville.
Good news, strawberries are in season. Whenever possible I shop the sales and look to eat what’s in season. It’s better for your health and your wallet. This Strawberry Jalapeno Margarita is in season, drink up.
Since the sun is out, let’s raise a glass to warmer weather and fun in the sun. Cheers!
Pro Tip: This recipe tastes good without the booze so make yourself a mock-tail over ice. You can even make it a frozen Margarita by adding ice to the blender and blending it to frozen delicious drink.Print
- 8 Strawberries, green tops removed
- 1 small jalapeno, tops removed
- 1 Tbsp agave/honey
- Juice of 4 limes
- 3 oz. Tequila
- 2 oz. Triple Sec (or other orange liquer)
- Salt/Sugar for rim
- Blend strawberries, jalapeno, agave/honey and juice of limes in a blender.
- Strain mixture through a fine mesh strainer (if you don’t mind pulp and a thicker margarita, feel free to skip this step!)
- Add strained liquid back to blender and add in tequila & triple sec.
- Rim 2 small glasses with salt &/or sugar by wetting rim with the juice of a lime and then rolling into salt/sugar mixture.
- Add 3-4 ice cubest to each glass and pour strawberry maragita evenly over both. Enjoy!
What is your favorite flavor of Margarita?
What are your plans for Cinco de Mayo?
ps. Stay Tuned for a Cinco de Mayo Recipe Round-Up tomorrow, #sassyapproved of course!