These Sausage, Egg, and Cheese Freezer Breakfast Burritos are the perfect meal prep breakfast for this week or even busy weeks to come. You can make a batch of them and enjoy them when things get busy. No more excuses as for why you don’t have a breakfast packed.
Breakfast Meal Prep
I find that if breakfast is not prepped for me, it doesn’t happen or it’s kind of a free for all. It’s probably because I start most days off at 4:30am heading to the gym to coach. However, even if I’m working from home I just know that I’ll get sidetracked and breakfast will become a second thought. I decided to try my hand at these Sausage, Egg, & Cheese Freezer Breakfast Burritos to see if they could help. The verdict? They did.
The nice thing about these suckers is that you can make a big batch of them ahead of time, freeze them and then you have breakfast for weeks. You don’t have to eat them every morning, but wouldn’t it be nice to come home from say, a week of travel, and have breakfast ready to go?
If you’re like me then the answer is yes. I can just grab the burrito before I leave for the gym at 4:30am then when I have a break in coaching I can microwave it for 60-90 seconds, top it with some hot sauce, and bam, I’m fed and happy as a clam.
Drool-worthy Breakfast Sausage
Hold the phone, you might be thinking a dietitian with a sausage based recipe? Yes, you did read that right. The first time I made these they did not contain sausage BUT i felt like they were not substantial enough and needed more substance and more protein.
Well, I’ve been trying out Butcher Box (on my own–no sponsor there, but hey i’m open to it) and decided to try out their Breakfast Bundle. It was a good life choice because their bacon and their pork sausage is amazing. It’s worth every penny in my eyes. I don’t have to do much work to go get it and I get good quality food I can feel good about inside & out.
Frankly after visiting Organic Valley back in June (more on that later), I’ve been prioritizing spending my dollars on good quality meat, eggs, and dairy. It not only supports my health but also supports the farmer that is doing some good work on their farm. Butcher Box is an easy way to make sure I get good meat in my life without having to look far and wide for it.
I’d suggest giving it a try and when you do, order the breakfast sausage, and make this because it’s so good. However, if you need to make these ASAP you can buy some ground meat (pork, turkey, chicken, beef, bison) and season it as desired and it will be ALMOST as good, I promise).
Freezer Breakfast Burritos
Okay, now what you’ve all been waiting for, a recipe that’s easy to eat and even easier to take with you for breakfast any day of the week. These freezer breakfast burritos might be right in line with my Peanut Butter & Jelly Overnight Oats as being my favorite breakfasts to meal prep for the week.
Try it out and feel free to use a burrito wrap of choice. I used the Brown Rice Wraps from Trader Joe’s but you can use anyone that you desire. I’d recommend finding ones that are big so you can stuff as much of the stuffing in there as possible. Just be warned, sometimes when you microwave them it gets messy 🙂
Pro Tip: Make the sausage mixture the night before you wrap them up that way you can let it cool and it makes wrapping the burritos easier.
Sausage, Egg, and Cheese Freezer Breakfast Burritos
- 1 lb ground pork sausage
- 1/2 cup red onion small dice
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 bell pepper small dice
- 1 medium sweet potato small dice
- 2 cups greens (i.e. spinach, kale, etc.)
- 8 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 8 large burrito wraps
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add pork sausage and cook until no pink is showing.
- Add garlic, onion, bell pepper, & sweet potatoes, stir to combine. Cover and cook for 10 minutes or until potato is fork tender. Add greens and toss to combine.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, spices, & water until frothy. Stir in cheese.
- Pour eggs over veggies and stir until eggs are no longer watery. Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature if possible.
For the burritos
- Prepare burritos by spreading 1/8 of the mixture in each wrap. Fold burrito tightly. Enjoy immediately OR freeze per instructions below.
- To freeze: wrap each burrito tightly with plastic wrap or parchment paper and then wrap again with aluminum foil. Freeze & when ready to eat, remove the burrito from both wraps & microwave for 60-90 seconds or until warm. Alternatively you can prepare in oven or toaster oven. Top with avocado & hot sauce.
Let me know if you make these Freezer Breakfast Burritos and feel free to tag @thesassydietitian on social media so I can see your work of art.
Pin Now, Burrito Later
I MAY BE COMPENSATED THROUGH AFFILIATE LINKS IN THIS POST AND ON THIS SITE. HOWEVER, ALL OPINIONS ARE MY OWN. COMPENSATION HELPS WITH ANY EXPENSES NEEDED TO KEEP THIS BLOG GOING.