My Top 5 Wellness Wednesday Tips
Hey there! I just wanted to stop by and give you some of my most useful and simple wellness tips so you can hit the ground running today and everyday. We are flooded with so much information on the internet, TV, from our friends and family and all over the place it is hard to know where to focus and what to believe. I personally take the simple approach to health and fitness and I think it’s a great place for everyone to start or to reset. Stress is a big contributor to weight gain and poor health outcomes so stressing about how to lose weight or how to feel better can make matters worse, not cool!
I have been doing a health and nutrition challenge at my gym and the participants ask the best questions! They all want to know how to make this challenge into a lifestyle so that when it ends they can continue incorporating the healthy lifestyle changes into their everyday lives, and that makes me a happy Sassy! Life is not about what diet you are on or what challenge you opt in to is next, instead it is about living your life to the fullest at your optimum health. Wouldn’t you agree?
Alright so let’s have at it. Here are my top 5 Wellness Wednesday Tips to give you some simple ways to improve your health and start living your life to the fullest without chronically dieting.
1. Chew Your Food. Sounds pretty basic and should go without saying BUT we all forget, and I am right there with you. We are so used to chewing feverishly or not chewing at all because we are so busy and want to get to either the next bite or our next task. Chewing is one of the first steps of digestion (thinking, smelling and salivating are the ones that come before that) and is a crucial step most of us miss. Have you ever eaten so fast you have a stomach ache? Could be because you swallowed too much air but could also be due to the fact that you did not give your body a chance to digest the food and it’s working overtime to do so. Slowing down and chewing will help you realize sooner when you are full. Start counting how many times you chew per bite today to see if you chew at all! Slow down, enjoy your food and heck even put your utensils down between bites, make my day!
2. Sit Down to Eat. Another one that should go without saying, but how many of us eat in the car, standing up, at our desk but on our computer, in front of the TV with a plate on our lap? I could go on, but you get the point. We are so out of touch with food and meal times that we eat out of habit, mindlessly and in a hurry. I urge you to sit down to eat and not in front of a TV or computer but at a table or surface and really enjoy your food. You will most likely feel more satisfied after the meal and won’t be as tempted to go grab something else to keep you company on the couch. Leave the couch cuddles for pets and humans, not chips and ice cream.
3. Drink water and enough of it. How many times do you reach the end of the day only to realize you never drank a sip of water? Many of us get by with coffee, food and sugar sweetened beverages when our bodies really need WATER. Grab a water bottle (this one is my favorite) and keep it with you. Rule of thumb is to drink half your body weight in ounces but if that is too big of a jump, add 1 cup extra (that’s a total of 8 ounces) today and see how you feel. (Note: if you up your intake drastically you will need to run to the bathroom more, which will in turn help you with tip #4).
4. Move throughout the day. This one is especially for all you 1-hour fitness couch potatoes. You know, those of us who work out really hard 1 hour a day but spend the rest of the day sitting in a chair? This is not great for your health. Find ways to get moving. Maybe it’s a short walk on your lunch break. Maybe it’s petitioning to have a stand up work station. Maybe it’s being creative and making your own stand up desk. Maybe it’s challenging the office to a 50 air squats/day challenge. You get the point. Whatever it is, get moving DURING the whole entire day! Use an app or reminder on your computer or phone every hour or so to remind you to get up, move, stretch and look away from the screen! Heck maybe get a fitness tracker to see how many steps you are really getting each day, you might be shocked.
5. Get to Bed. Seriously. We are walking zombies and sometimes we need to go to bed. You need 7 to 9 hours of sleep to be at your optimal health, yowza! Sleep can help with everything including athletic performance, memory, behavior, anxiety, weight loss, sex drive and oh so much more. We could all use a wee bit more beauty rest, so if you are reading this in the dark, in bed, on your phone, shut it down right now and go to bed, NOW! So if you’re wanting to perform better in sexual encounters, turn off your phone, just because the Best hdpornvideo HD XXX movies are free now doesn’t mean you need to spend your whole night divulging into it.
If these 5 tips are overwhelming to you, that’s okay, start with one and you will be better today than you were yesterday. Once you’ve put one into place, start with the next and so on. Small steps can lead to a long term lifestyle change. If we try to change everything at once we can get discouraged, and that is no fun at all.
Let me know which Wellness Wednesday tip you plan on using first in the comments.