Friday Favorites: Book Edition
Let me preface this with I AM NOT PREGNANT. This is just a review of a book from a fellow RD who I have the utmost respect for and for whose book I want to share with everyone. Her book Real Food for Pregnancy is a game changer in the nutrition world and I’m excited to share it with you all. On my podcast (yes, I still have one of those), Lily Nichols, Dietitian, Mother and all around fact checker bad-a$$, came back on our show for the third time to talk about her new book.
Since many of you may not listen to my podcast, I figured I’d give you a wrap up of her new book in hopes that it can get into the hands of those who really need it most. Now that you know I am not, in fact, pregnant at this time, I feel like you can enjoy the post without wondering if I put any hidden messages in there (hint: I did not).
I am in no way being compensated for this post and I purchased this book with my own dollhairs (aka dollars). This book is paving a new path and I want to show support of the revolution!
What is it?
The first book about real food nutrition and pregnancy. It’s sad to say and at the same time awesome to know that Lily is paving the path for practitioners and moms/moms-to-be alike. Lily discusses how to eat a real food die,t what it looks like, solutions for common complaints and so much more.
The book is a bible for dietitians, doctors, pregnant women and so many others looking for solid nutrition advice. It is easy to read chapter by chapter and will expose the real truth to what women need before, during and after pregnancy.
Snag the first chapter FO FREE, here and see for yourself what the fuss is all about!
Who is it for?
Anyone really. I’m serious. You do not need to be pregnant to read this book. However, it is suited more for those interested in the topic! I would recommend it for the following:
- Practitioners. Those who come in contact in some way, shape or form with those looking to become pregnant, who are pregnant or even who have been pregnant. It gives a great overview of what to focus on and is all backed by research, so you can rest assured you are giving sound advice.
- Moms & Moms-to-be. You are your strongest advocate as it comes to your health, so if you want to find out ways to improve your pregnancy pre, during or post, grab this to read!
- Those looking to become pregnant (someday). Even if you don’t know if you will be pregnant anytime in your life, it doesn’t hurt to read up on this topic if you think it might be a possibility. Worst case scenario you get some good diet and lifestyle advice that can apply anytime in your life.
Once again, anyone can read this, especially if you have a keen interest in someone who is or will become pregnant and/or just love all things nutrition. I learned some things in this book and I live and breathe this stuff! Not to mention, Lily cites over 900 studies so there are some real meat and potatoes to this book and will not be a waste of your time.
Not convinced yet? Here are a few things that I learned/re-learned and think would be helpful for those involved in a pregnancy.
- Real Food Nutrition kicks the crap out of Conventional Nutrition. Lily gives a macro & micro-breakdown of the two diets and it’s not even a competition. Not to mention she gives a 7-day meal plan so you can see what she means by Real Food for Pregnancy.
- There is the 4th trimester and it is often overlooked. While this is the trimester that the baby is outside of the womb instead of inside, it is still an incredibly important time for the mother & child and it often gets hastily taken care of by practitioner and mother.
- Exercise is safe, effective AND beneficial during pregnancy. We are so scared as a society to push pregnant women as it comes to exercise. While, yes, there are some instances where exercise needs to be limited, we should encourage proper movement during most pregnancies and praise them for doing so. We should not judge these ladies because they want to remain active!
- You don’t have to succumb to common pregnancy complaints just because it’s deemed “normal”. Constipation? Heartburn? Cravings? Nausea? All of these are just assumed as normal, but they don’t have to be! Lily explains how some of these complaints can be alleviated or curbed, not by some miracle or some hocus pocus but by nutrition & lifestyle interventions, because, SCIENCE!
Want more? You can find out Lily’s top 10 foods for pregnancy over at my RD friends’ website The Real Food Dietitians.
Intrigued? Find Out More!
If you want to find out more for yourself or you know someone who might benefit from this information, check out the resources below. It doesn’t hurt to educate yourself on real food nutrition surrounding pregnancy, after all, we will all know someone in our lives who are pregnant at some point or another.
Book: Real Food for Pregnancy (Affiliate Link)
Podcast: Nutrition Genius Radio Episode #84
Website: Pilates Nutritionist (Lily’s Website)
ps. we are running a GIVEAWAY over on Instagram until next Monday, so go enter and you could snag yourself a FREE copy!