Ah, the good ol’ days where I waked to the bus stop in my crop top to see my brother off, and I ran back to back to the house because I just HAD to watch Barney…. #ruffledsocksFTW
Back To School Snacks
Okay, I have to admit, I am NOT going back to school this year. Disclaimer, I also have not been going back to school for over 5 years and I have no child in my household who is going back to school. So, you might think it’s silly for me to be telling you what my favorite Back To School Snacks are, but let’s entertain the idea anyway, what do you say?
I may not be going back to school, but I do love snacks (read: all food) and I like helping others choose some healthy and not-so-boring snacks, because after all, what you eat should not just nourish you it should also excite you. So let’s dig in.
“What’s a good snack to have?”
That is hands down one of the most frequently asked questions that I get. You know what to eat for meals but when it comes to snacks you get a bit confused, stuck or frustrated. I get it. You are encouraged to eat when you are hungry but also to eat every 2 hours and also encouraged to fast. It is a confusing world out there! My best advice is to fuel your body for the life and activity you want. That is going to look different for everyone and if you want more detailed information, hire a dietitian or nutrition coach to help you out. (Check out Designed to Fit Nutrition for a meal planning service I am a coach for too!)
Let’s all start this school year (or just September) off with some good food in our stomachs, backpacks and lunch boxes, no matter if you are going back to school or not.
We all have some embarrassing photos, you know?
Sassy’s Favorite Back To School Snacks
I could mention 5 million and 1 snacks but let’s take a look at the easy/usual suspects and then we’ll tackle some brands and snacks that you might not have in your snack arsenal yet.
The Usual Suspects
When I snack I just eat food, real food and in weird combinations or no combinations at all. So forget the norms and just eat what tastes good and happens to be in your house.
- Veggies & Hummus or Guacamole
- Fruit & Nut/Seed Butter
- Cheese & Crackers
- Trail Mix
My Top Picks
I’ve seen a lot of new real food snack brands pop up over the past few years, which is incredibly exciting. I learned of a few new ones at this year’s CrossFit Games and then will be going to Expo East in September and hopefully FNCE in October to learn more about what is up and coming in today’s food world. Going to be there? Let me know!
Jackson’s Honest Chips
Visit them here
- Met the owner and team at the CrossFit Games as they were our booth neighbors and man, what a great story/family/company, it pays to support those who are doing the right thing for the right reasons
- I love the Sweet Potato Chips, but am dying to try their new Maple Cinnamon Tortilla Chips
- Where to Find? Sprouts, Whole Foods, Wegmans, local co-ops and Online
Buddha Bowl Organic Popcorn by Lesser Evil
Visit them here
- By accident I may have gotten my friends hooked on this snack while in Key West…sorry friends!
- Simple ingredients, not filled with crap and a light easy snack that taste so good you’ll have to find a way to stop before the entire bag is gone
- Where to Find? Local grocery stores (I have Hannaford’s and that is where I find it), Whole Foods, local co-ops and online
Biena Foods Chickpea Snacks
Visit them here
- Learned about these recently and love that they bring a new vibe to snacking
- 6g of protein per 1/4 cup serving
- Ingredients in their Sea Salt Chickpeas: Chickpeas, Sunflower Oil, Sea Salt
- Where to Find? Airports (no joke that’s where I first saw them), CVS, Local grocery stores, Target
If you follow my Instagram, no secret here, I love Greek Yogurt. It is one of my favorite snacks because it is delicious AND filling.
- Favorite Brands: Maple Hill Creamery & Siggi’s
- Where to Find? Everywhere where there is a refrigerated section…
Jerky & Meat Sticks
I get made fun of a lot because I often get caught with some type of meat stick or jerky in my purse. I come prepared. Jerky and meat sticks are easy to transport, shelf stable and incredibly filling and satisfying.
I’m not the biggest fan of bars, mostly because I like a full meal, I’m needy I know. However, in a pinch, bars can provide balanced nutrition fast and conveniently.
- Note: Read the ingredient label and look for one rich in protein and low in sugar.
- Favorite Brands:
- Health Warrior (Giveaway on Instagram THIS WEEK!) esp. the pumpkin seed superfood bars. Use code sassy30 for 30% off your order.
- Rx Bars: simple, clean, easy, everywhere. What more could you want?
- Kind Bars: not always my first choice but you can usually find these guys everywhere and a good dosage of protein can keep you full. Not to mention, I just found out about their sweet & spicy line, hello jalapeño!
- There are 500 others out there, find out which one’s my RD friends prefer head over to theReal Food RDs page!
OKAY, not a true snack and provides minimal if any calories or really any nutrient benefit minus hydration. However, so many people struggle with drinking water and/or staying hydrated so why not make drinking water more interesting and delicious?
- Favorite Brands
Happy Eating….errrr I mean Learning!
Let’s hear it!
What is YOUR favorite back to school snack? (Let me know in the comments)